Monday, June 17, 2013

To our Dads :)

I was having a hard time putting my thoughts together last night on the amazing men in my life, so I threw up the picture of Aiden and Trent (from before Church yesterday) and went to bed.  Now that I've had some time to think, I thought I'd take a moment to write about our dads.

I feel like Trent is a one-of-a-kind dad.  He is very much involved in Aiden's life and boy am I thankful for that.  I know Aiden is still young, but I know Trent will continue to be there for him as he grows up and throughout his life.  He wrestles with Aiden and chases him and Aiden just squeals and loves it :)  We sure love you!

As for my dad, I was pondering all of the lessons I've learned from him and two stand out in particular.  Countless times growing up, if my dad heard us complaining or whatever, he'd say to us, "Life's not fair."  It seriously drove my sisters and I crazy!  I think as girls, in particular, we had the tendency to compare ourselves to those around us.  My dad was trying to teach us that life's not fair and that's okay.  Get over it!  As I've gotten older, and especially now that I'm a mom, I realize how true that statement is and I am totally okay with it.  I am a lot less likely to compare myself and am very aware of how blessed I really am.  My dad is incredibly smart and realistic and I appreciate him for that.

He also taught me (by example) courage to try something new when you are not happy with what you are doing.  I won't get into details, but I want him to know that I admire him for that.  I think any man who has to support their family and go to work every. single. day. should at least somewhat like what they do.  I know it can be incredibly tedious and I am so grateful to my dad for supporting our family growing up and to Trent now who does it for our little family.

Thank you for your example Dad!  I love you!

My dad does not love to have his picture taken, so both of these are from like January.  We'll have to get a more recent one soon ;)

Dad in his element. He wishes he could've just been a cowboy :)


And Kent.  Kent is quick to serve, generous, and hard working.  We are so grateful for his support, and each of our parents, and know we can rely on each of them.  We love you!

1 comment:

  1. So true! "Life's not fair" and "Stop worrying about everyone else and worry about yourself!" He always said that one to me, especially.

    ReplyDelete

If you leave me a comment, I'll leave one for you ;)