Monday, November 18, 2013

Aiden is 2!

Aiden turned 2 on Sunday and we had a little party for him on Saturday.  I was getting to the point where I didn't know if I wanted to throw him a party (I was feeling so low on energy), but once Halloween passed I was suddenly feeling like I could do it.  We decided to do a party based on all things that go because that's what Aiden is absolutely loving lately :)

This is the invite we sent out.  I found the design on Etsy from Kelly Medina Studios.


I tried to keep the decorations easy and pinned some great ideas on Pinterest (love Pinterest!).  I got a black tablecloth and yellow duct tape to make it look like a road.  Aiden has plenty of cars that I was able to put on :)


Then I dipped some pretzel rods in chocolate and put on a red, yellow, and green m&m to look like stoplights :)


I made a bunch of these airplanes from clothespins and craft sticks (tutorial HERE).  I was pretty happy because I assembled them a few nights before and was surprised by how much Aiden loved them.  He was carrying them all around with him :)  


Now that the party's over we'll be hanging them in his room :)


We had Aiden dressed for the occasion ;)


Strawberries, pineapple, and green grapes - again with the stoplight idea.


The whole spread.  We kept lunch basic - got deli meat and sub rolls and veggies for toppings along with the fruit.
Don't you hate it when you don't realize your picture's out of focus until it's too late to try to take another :/


Those were all of the pictures from setting up.  

Soon the guests started to arrive.  It was very low-key.  While people munched we had Aiden open his gifts.


The Rosenbaum's totally surprised us and brought this car for Aiden!!  He loved it from the very second he saw it :)



Mindy and Ari brought a train, which was perfect because Aiden actually didn't have any trains!


Checking it out :)


The Wray's brought Aiden a new outfit - perfect for our growing boy :)





Grandma and Grandpa Christensen got Aiden this car carrier.  For a few weeks before, Aiden kept spotting it in stores while we were out running errands and playing with it, so when my mom asked for an idea, I knew just what to tell her!


I love Melissa & Doug toys!



Grandma and Grandpa Knuckles got Aiden a fire truck - also Melissa & Doug :)


Thank you to everyone for their generosity.  Aiden is in heaven!

Another shot of the spread after people started eating.


Visiting.


We got an airplane cake mold from Michael's and were happy with how it turned out!  Thankfully my mom took over on frosting it because Trent and I were really struggling..haha.



I don't know if Aiden ever really figured out why he was the center of attention all afternoon ;)  Here, we were singing to him.


You can't really tell, but he was trying to blow out his candle :)



I think Trent blew it out in the end.


And then we just continued to visit and play with all of Aiden's new toys :)

We had Aiden's airplane costume as a prop by the front door.  Here we are with Kristell and her 2 cuties - Naomi and Kellan :)


Aiden with Grandma and Grandpa Knuckles.


Aunt Amber and Grandma Christensen.


There was a little miscommunication and Grandpa had made prior arrangements to take a bunch of young women horseback riding before he knew about the party, so he didn't make it.

The party seriously could not have gone better.  I was so pleased.  Thank you to Trent and Mom for helping me get everything ready and to Mom for letting us party at their place :)

Yesterday, the 17th, Aiden's actual birthday, was a pretty normal Sunday for us.  Our home teachers came by before Church with a little gift for Aiden (a little airplane and monster truck).  And then Church is sqwack in the middle of the day for us from 12-3 and once we get home Aiden goes down for a nap.

We woke up the little monkey around 6 (can't believe it's already dark outside by then) for his final gift.


Aiden with all of his gifts.  I kind of just took this for my sisters to see.


We need more space!!


Lucky boy!


I seriously can't believe we have a 2-year-old!  That just seems so old! He is the biggest joy of our lives  and we are so eternally grateful for him.  WE LOVE YOU SWEET AIDEN!!

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT! So fun!! Theme and everything. "The hat, the hat, the hat" : ) He is talking so much now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great party! All the little touches were so creative and reflect all the things he loves right now. We love Aiden so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Melissa and Doug toys too!! Why is it after birthday parties, you seem to have no more space?! Loved the stop light theme also. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete

If you leave me a comment, I'll leave one for you ;)