Sunday, October 7, 2012

A Not-So-Fall Wreath

I don't know if you all have noticed, but it seems that I lean towards wreaths when I am in a crafting mood :)  I feel like a door is so bare when it doesn't have a wreath (or something) on it.  And it seems my door is always totally bare during the months of August and September.  Not good!  Luckily I found some inspiration when I happened on Dara's blog teach. craft. love.  I saw THESE wreaths of hers and had to have one for myself.  What a neat idea to put your house number on it.  I think it's especially helpful since we're in an apartment complex where every door is exactly the same (skip down to my picture if you don't want to read all the details :)).  So off to Hobby Lobby and Michael's we went (that's what Aiden and I were doing in this picture).

I picked up the flowers and wreath form from Hobby Lobby and I picked up some gray paint and floral wire from Michael's.  The only reason I went to both places was because I was looking for the numbers, but like Dara I did not have success.  For some reason no one sells numbers anymore, only letters.  Big bummer.  So after a week or so of all of my supplies sitting on our dining room table, I finally looked for wood numbers online and found SJA Wood Design.  Here you can choose the kind of wood, size of numbers, and font you want (I love fonts so that was fun for me!).  I went with 3" pine letters in Century Schoolbook.  I didn't realize the gray paint I chose was going to be such a close shade to our front door, which I always thought was a blue color..haha.  They must have similar undertones.

Anyway, I simply stuck the flowers through the wreath vines and they were snug enough that way.  I had to use a little floral wire to get the leaves to stay.  For the numbers, I hot glued some floral wire on the back of the numbers and wired it through.  Pretty easy!

I didn't get any pictures of the process like I usually do, but here's the finished product!  I think it turned out pretty well :)


So I ended up finishing this last Monday and then I realized it was October 1st and time to get out the Halloween/Fall decorations.  I seriously lose track of what month we're in because of the weather here in AZ.  It was still above 100 last week and this week it's finally supposed to get into the 90's.  That is not October weather in my book.  So now I made this Spring-y wreath and I can't even get it back out until like March (I have other wreaths/decor until then)!  I kept it up from Monday to Friday though because I wanted to admire it for at least a few days before I put it away :)

P.S. I'm working on a Halloween craft this week so come back soon!

4 comments:

  1. It looks great. I remember making so many crafts in the first 5 years of married life. I miss making them. I am so happy that you take the time to do this. It is a fun sense of accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your wreaths! I love that you celebrate ALL holidays with decorating. It really makes your house a home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!!!! It's way pretty!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

If you leave me a comment, I'll leave one for you ;)