Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Easy DIY Halloween Decor

I pinned this first idea a few months back and couldn't pass it up because it's just so easy.  I was very happy (and surprised) to find out our front door is magnetic.  All you have to do is buy those cheap plastic spider rings, simply cut off the ring part, and hot glue some magnet to the back.  I was able to get a pack of 50 spider rings from the dollar store and I got magnetic strips from Walmart (for like $3) that you can cut to any size you want. And I have a ton left over for a different project.  So easy!  And I love how it looks!

We wanted the spiders to look somewhat realistic, but you could totally add lots more or do any design you want with them on the door.  So fun!


My second project was a redo of the ghost I made last year.  It turned out so much better this year!  This time it's sturdy enough that I should be able to save it. I think the key is that this time I used fabric stiffener (called Stiffy from Joann's).  I did everything just the same as last year, but just used the stiffener instead of the cornstarch mixture (HERE'S the tutorial from last year).  I also had more cheesecloth this year (3 feet instead of 2), so I did 3 layers.

I stuck the ghost on the couch so that it had a dark background.  It doesn't normally sit here ;)


I told Aiden it was a ghost and every once in a while he'll randomly point at it and say "dhost" :)  My little buddy!


Now we just need to get working on Aiden's costume ;)

2 comments:

If you leave me a comment, I'll leave one for you ;)