Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Notes Left Behind

Last night I had a hard time falling asleep because I could not turn my brain off. I was thinking about a book I recently finished reading called Notes Left Behind. It is the true story of a six-year-old girl named Elena and her struggle with brain cancer. It is actually a journal her parents kept as a remembrance for Elena's younger sister Gracie. In her last months of life, Elena hid many notes around the house professing her love for her family. It is so amazing to me that a girl that young thought to do that.

Anyway, I started to think about how devastating it would be to lose a child and how devastated I will be if anything happens to my unborn children. And that led me to think about how much I already love them (I am taking you through my train of thoughts and no I am not pregnant..haha). Kind of a weird thought, but for any of you who don't have children yet, don't you already feel so much love and joy for them? I was asking Trent about it this morning and he told me he had never thought of that before, but I think he understood :) Anyway, this book taught me again the importance of living each day to its fullest and "finding joy in the journey." Also the importance of expressing love for one another often. And with that - to all of my family and those I hold dear, as well as my future children, I love you!


To find out more about Notes Left Behind you can check out their website notesleftbehind.com

2 comments:

  1. Jessica,

    Thank you for your comments on our book and also our daughter. It is a blessing to see the lessons she taught us carried on as the charity she inspired still helps other children today. Thank you for spreading the awareness.

    Keith Desserich

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I totally know what you mean... yesterday in my criminology class we were talking about human trafficking and how people kidnap children and sell them as sex slaves and I felt this huge wave of emotion... anger, sadness, protectiveness, and I thought about what I would do if anyone did something like that to Alex... well after I found them I would definitely beat there brains to this side of tomorrow, but that's beside the point. The greatest thing you can hope for is that your children will never have to suffer.

    ReplyDelete

If you leave me a comment, I'll leave one for you ;)