Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Aiden-stein

At 17 months, Aiden has officially had his first Urgent Care experience :(

Let me just quickly start from the beginning.  Last week I won a baker's dozen cupcakes from The Sweet Tooth Fairy (I was so excited!).  They are way up in Scottsdale though so Trent and I decided to make a whole date out of picking them up (including lunch and shopping).  We finished up family pictures at the temple with the Knuckles' Saturday morning, and had them take Aiden home with them, and then we were off.  It was a beautiful day and the weather was perfect.  We found a great parking spot and we were feeling good!  It was only 11 so we decided we'd do our shopping first, then have lunch, pick up our cupcakes, and head home after that.  First stop, H&M.  

Not half an hour later we got a call from Tanis saying Aiden had cut his head pretty bad and we probably needed to meet them at Urgent Care.  I'm still not exactly sure what happened.  Something about Aiden was in Kent's car in the driveway playing with the steering wheel (he loves steering wheels!) and a neighbor kid came to join him. I guess Aiden was trying to make room in the driver's seat and was climbing onto the middle part (median?) and slipped and fell down.  I'm still trying to figure out what is so sharp in the car that it cut him on the way down.   

Anyway, so we each had a pile of clothes we were planning to try on (in fact, I was already in the dressing room trying on!) and we had to just ditch them and go.  We were so bummed!  We were more bummed about our date being ruined than worried about Aiden..haha.  (We knew he was in good hands.)  We decided we were at least going to get our cupcakes since we were right there.  Luckily no one else was in there so it took all of about 3 minutes.  And we basically got one of each - so fun!


I totally forgot to get a picture of all of our cupcakes before we dug in, but here are most of them :)


The whole drive to Urgent Care we were thinking it couldn't be too bad, but we were also thinking, "Aww, his perfect little face...".  We weren't really sure where the cut was and Trent was pretty worried Aiden would have this nasty scar right across the front of his forehead.  Lucky for us, it's right under his hairline so you can hardly see it.

Right before we got there I was feeling very nervous about seeing Aiden.  I have a hard time with blood and was having to tell myself to breathe..haha.  I had to cover my eyes when we first saw him and it still makes me cringe.  But he was his happy, normal self (only b/c he hadn't been taken back yet).  I didn't think to get a picture of the before, but it was pretty gnarly and there was blood all over his shirt.

Originally the doctor was saying they'd just glue the cut shut.  I made Trent go back with Aiden to get him prepped.  I knew I'd cry if I did.  They cleaned it up and put some numbing cream on.  They came back out while the cream kicked in - about 20 minutes.

I couldn't resist getting a shot with his head wrapped up.  Such a cutie.


They had also given him some Tylenol or something which made him drowsy.


He was out, but not for long :/


Then came the hard part.  Apparently Aiden was screaming.  He did not like being held down :(  Trent said he even got a little teary-eyed b/c he felt awful.  Turns out they decided to do stitches b/c they were worried about it reopening.  So our little guy got 5 stitches.  

And then we were finally able to head home after a very unexpected morning/afternoon.

Aiden is such a little champ and was back to normal when we got home.  Busy playing around the house :)

Band-aid over the stitches 



You can hardly see them, huh?!  Right side.


I do feel like Aiden kind of looks like Frankenstein with his little stitches..ha.  I have to take him in on Wednesday to have the stitches removed - definitely dreading it :(  I know Aiden will be screaming and I will just be trying keep him down, while looking away and trying to keep from crying myself.  Wish me luck!

To Tanis and Kent - Strike one ;)  But really, we still completely trust you and love you!  And I hope I didn't embarrass you too much with this post ;)

3 comments:

  1. i love the one where he is sitting on trents lap. He looks like a mini-war vet. i am glad he is ok!! my little aiden man!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh I would have cried...aww aiden man what a trooper and poor Tanis and kent had to experience his first injury. It makes for a great story though for later! Ps. Send me one of those divine cupcakes!!! Yum!- Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sooo grateful he is alright. What a terrifying day! I know he was lots braver than I was.. Thanks Jess and Trent for your kindness.

    ReplyDelete

If you leave me a comment, I'll leave one for you ;)