Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Handprint Aprons

Just thought I'd show off what Aiden made for each Grandma for Mother's Day :)
Grandma Knuckles

And Grandma Christensen.
He was eating a Ritz or something 

At first I thought we may try a more elaborate design and make handprint flowers. I'm glad we just stuck with the easy handprints-all-over-the-apron because even this was kind of difficult with Aiden. You can see that he'd wiggle his fingers sometimes, and I'm kind of a perfectionist so I would have been bummed out if the handprint flowers weren't perfect.  Maybe another year ;)  At the top they say, "Grandma's Helping Hands (heart) Aiden" and "Mother's Day 2013" at the bottom.

I learned from this project that less is more with the paint.  Some of the handprints just look like blobs because we used too much paint!

At one point Aiden touched his face between colors :)


I am so grateful for each of our beautiful Moms and that we live near them (at least for now ;))  Tanis is one of the most patient, gentle people I know and I don't know if I've ever heard her complain.  I'm trying to learn from her.  I may be a little wimpy, especially if I'm not feeling very good.  Plus she raised the most incredible son, but I may be a little biased ;)  Thank you Tanis!

And my mom (I wrote some of this in her card) taught me so much by example.  I knew I wanted to be a stay-at-home because of her and, sure enough, I LOVE every second of it (for the most part!).  She taught us honesty and repentance, almost to a fault - she apologizes for every. little. thing. Sometimes it drives my sisters and I nuts! Really though, we need to be more like her!  And she taught me service and looking out for others.  I remember a few different times growing up when she'd pull over on 123 in dear Vienna to offer women a ride home who were lugging groceries in the rain or heat.  There was also this sweet little widow, Effie, that lived just outside our neighborhood on Lawyer's, that my mom befriended and would stop by every once in a while just to say "hi".  What an example she's been to each of us!

I have been trying to make a habit of praying for an opportunity to serve someone every day.  And today I had one of those opportunities, just like my mom.  I was pulling out of Fry's with a few groceries and noticed this little old lady walking along with all of her groceries. She had stopped under the shade of a tree for a minute (it's close to 100 today).  I have to be honest, at first I just drove right by (I'm a little embarrassed to admit that), but then I realized "this is my opportunity!" so I turned around and offered her a ride.  Sure enough, she just lives across the street (a busy street!) in our same complex and we live 2 buildings apart!  She doesn't have a car (turns out she never learned how to drive), so I told her to come by anytime she needs a ride.  I am so grateful I turned around.  We will be stopping by her place soon to get to know her better :)  Aiden and I made a new friend!

Just in closing, I feel so incredibly blessed to be Aiden's mommy and hope that I can teach him the way each of our moms has taught us. He is the absolute joy of our lives!

One final picture - Trent made a BBQ Chicken pizza for us on Mother's Day!  He makes the best pizza!

2 comments:

  1. Such a sweet post.....thanks Jess!-----Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love my apron! Thanks Jess for all you do. It filled my heart with joy to read your sweet post! Best Mother's Day ever :)

    ReplyDelete

If you leave me a comment, I'll leave one for you ;)