Friday, August 23, 2013

Hill Cumorah Pageant

Saturday, July 20th, it rained all morning.  Once it stopped, early in the afternoon, I went down to the deck by the dock and did some reading.  I love reading by the lake.  It is so peaceful and I love hearing the occasional ripple in the water and as the water splashes against the dock and deck beneath me.

I took a few pictures while I was out reading.  This was an abandoned snail shell on the deck near me.


The other side of the lake.


Some geese swam by.


I love the barn that we can see across the lake from us.


Took this from the upper deck before I headed inside.


That evening we had dinner at Wegman's (love that place!) and then headed to the Hill Cumorah Pageant.  If you've never heard of this, it is a pageant held every July in Palmyra, New York that tells the story of the Book of Mormon and how it came to be.  You can read more on it HERE.

Got this picture as we headed in from the parking lot.  You can see the angel Moroni above the trees at the top left.


Spotted Mom mingling in the audience as we were looking to meet up with the fam.  Beauty!


Amber, Jess (who may as well be family!), Aiden, Amy, and Tori.


Everyone got a kick out of the skulls on Mom's headband ;)  She also got many comments that she should dye her hair this color!


The whole fam (except Trent :( ).  When Dad came out, the first thing he said to us was, "Don't laugh"..haha.  He was a good sport wearing that silly wig :)  Mom didn't like that they made him wear that one. The least they could've done was put a beard on his face ;)


My family had such a wonderful time participating in the pageant and hope to do so again next year.


Sistas.


A group shot.  Dayna brought her boyfriend and a friend.



The pageant starts with a processional where the entire costumed cast walks through the audience and gathers on the stage.  In these first two pictures you can see Melissa on the ground with the red flag.  I didn't get a pic of the whole stage b/c I was so focused on getting Melissa..haha.



Amanda was one of these dancers - in the center on the stairs.



Birth of Christ.


Tori was a boat wife (Laman's I think).  It was hard to get a good picture b/c of the lighting.  She's in the center with the green on her head.


Mom, Amy, Amber, Bryn, and Jess were in this scene (next 2 photos), and I was trying desperately to find them, but it was so hard to see w/ so many people on the stage and from where we were sitting.



Christian and Samantha were among these dancers (I guess they had the coveted roles!).


After Jesus Christ was resurrected, He visited the Nephite people in the Americas.


My dad is in the next 2 photos.  He was one of the disciples.  He is behind Christ to the left.



I love this scene with Christ blessing the Nephite children.


It always makes me emotional.


The prophet Moroni.


He was commanded to bury a set of gold plates, on which was recorded the history of his people, in the Hill Cumorah.


In 1827, Moroni returned as an angel and delivered the plates to Joseph Smith, who translated them and published them as The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ.


It's really hard to see, but each of the prophets who were highlighted during the pageant are on stage - Lehi, Nephi, Alma, Samuel the Lamanite, Abinadi, Joseph, and Moroni.


Joseph Smith restored the gospel of Jesus Christ to the earth.


The final scene with Christ ascending into Heaven.  Beautiful.


It was so wonderful to see the pageant, as always.  I was a little distracted this time with Aiden and trying to spot everyone on stage and get pictures, but I felt the Spirit nonetheless.  I know the gospel and Book of Mormon are true with all my heart.  If you ever have a chance to make it to New York in July, definitely take the chance to see the Hill Cumorah Pageant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you leave me a comment, I'll leave one for you ;)