Thursday, August 12, 2010

Cream Cheese Brownies

I had a friend ask for the recipe for Cheesecake Brownies when I mentioned them in the survey I posted about a week and a half ago. It turns out I got the name wrong. They're actually called Cream Cheese Brownies, but I think they may as well be called Cheesecake Brownies :) Anyway, they are one of me and Trent's favorite treats! We got the recipe from eatbetteramerica.com . We love this website and try their recipes all the time (I'm on their email list)!

The website has a section of "healthified" recipes. This is just where small, simple changes are made to a recipe to make it more healthy. These brownies are "healthified" in that the recipe calls for 1/3-less-fat cream cheese and only egg whites (not the yolks). Most people can't tell that these are "healthified" and love them. Anyway, I've posted the recipe below.

Filling
1 package (8 oz) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup sugar
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla

Brownies
1 box (1 lb 2.3 oz) Betty Crocker fudge brownie mix
1/4 cup canola oil or unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup water
4 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray bottom only of a 13*9-in pan with cooking spray. In medium bowl, beat cream cheese with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Beat in remaining filling ingredients until well blended.

2. In large bowl, stir brownie mix, oil, water, 4 egg whites and 1 teaspoon vanilla with spoon until well blended. Spread in pan.

3. Spoon filling mixture over brownie batter in pan. Cut through filling mixture and batter with knife several times for marbled design. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.

4. Bake 28 to 32 minutes or until toothpick inserted in brownie 2 inches from side of pan comes out clean. Cool completely, about an hour (this is the hardest part for us!). Store covered in refrigerator.

Enjoy! Let me know how they are if you try them. And I apologize if you really don't care for them :) My sisters have all liked them, but my mom said she could definitely tell they were "healthified."

1 comment:

  1. Thank you sooooo much Jessica! Looks yummie!! I will let you know how they taste!

    Miranda

    ReplyDelete

If you leave me a comment, I'll leave one for you ;)