Wednesday, June 15, 2011

My Patriotic Craft

Sunday I finished making this 4th of July craft to display in our home and we just love it! You can find a tutorial for it HERE.


I started this project on Friday when I got together with two other girlies from the ward (congregation) for a craft day. We all decided we wanted to make our own "grand old flag" so we were off to Hobby Lobby for our materials.

You pretty much just need a styrofoam block (I was able to find 12" X 10"), glue, fabrics in red, white, & blue, and ribbon if you want to wrap it around the sides of your flag (you can't really see the ribbon on my final product, but it finishes it off nicely).

The most tedious part was definitely cutting the fabric into 2" x 2" squares. We went to Ashley's and turned on "The Proposal" while we were crafting :) It seriously took me like the whole 3 1/2 hours we were there to cut the fabric. My back was killing by the end! The girls were quite a bit faster than me. I guess it's the perfectionist in me!

With Brinly and Ashley before Brinly and I headed home so Ashley could head to work. You can see my blank styrofoam block..ha. The girls had already started their flags. Ash made a bigger flag than us because she already had styrofoam on hand.

I took a break for several hours once I got home. Later Trent helped me measure out how wide each stripe should be. Obviously I wanted it to be perfect ;)

Then you simply wrap your fabric around a pen or pencil and dip the point in the glue...



...and then stab it into the foam! This is the fun part!


On Saturday finishing up the stars.




Sunday - getting close!


I am very pleased with how it turned out! I have leftover fabric and can't seem to walk by my flag without seeing a white spot and filling it in with more fabric..ha.

I was kind of bummed when I finished because it was fun for me to make! It didn't take much concentration so it was actually pretty relaxing! I hope you like it and consider making one for yourself :)

3 comments:

If you leave me a comment, I'll leave one for you ;)