Monday, August 22, 2011

Kind of a Traumatic Weekend

Saturday my poor husband just about cut his left index finger off.

This stupid thing is the culprit - an avocado pit.

Trent was working on making me lunch (such a sweetheart) while I was showering and getting ready in preparation to go babysit the rest of the afternoon. He was cutting up an avocado to make guacamole and was trying to get the pit out with a brand new sharp knife. He thinks the knife must have glanced right off the pit and through his finger :(

I was right out of the shower and suddenly hear Trent screaming. I honestly thought he was playing a practical joke on me because I had never heard him scream like that before and he sounded pretty funny (I know, that sounds horrible!). After maybe 2 seconds of his screaming, I knew he was not kidding at all, and peeked around the corner of the kitchen. I was so worried as to what I would see and was absolutely panicked. I saw blood all over the floor and Trent running his hand under the faucet. I am NOT good with blood and get very faint so I ran back into our bedroom and was just yelling from there, asking the poor guy what I could do for him.

The first thing Trent told me was he "[hadn't] cut it all the way off." He wanted to reassure me first thing, such a sweet boy. I was crying by this point. It is no fun to see the person you love most in the world in absolute pain. He laid on the kitchen floor and kept saying he thought he was going to throw up or pass out. Trent had me call his mom all the way in Phoenix, and through my tears Tanis very calmly said she could head right over if Trent could wait. All Trent wanted to do was see his mom (since I'm so bad in situations like this..sorry babe!) and said he could definitely wait.

In the mean time I just tried to keep Trent calm. In reality he was probably keeping me more calm than I was him..haha. He asked me to make up an ice pack for him and to bring my lap top to him. He proceeded to turn on a movie on Netflix while he waited for his mom! He was so calm! Tanis showed up in record time and I knew he was in good hands (of course!) and they headed to the emergency room.

I checked in with them twice during his time there. He was first given a tetanus shot and they gave him 2 Percocet for the pain. I guess everyone that saw the cut couldn't believe how deep it was and how calm Trent was. Then they did an X-ray to make sure he didn't chip the bone (he got pretty darn close), gave him a digital block (anesthesia), and stitched him up. I was absolutely shocked when I heard he had to get EIGHT stitches! I hadn't even looked at the cut before he left because I thought I might pass out if I saw all the blood, so I didn't even know yet which finger it was! I didn't realize how big the cut was! I only expected him to say he was getting like four stitches.

While Trent was off at the emergency room, my mom came over to help me clean up all the blood (she knows I get a bit queasy). She was shocked by how much there was and said it kind of looked like a crime scene..haha. In these pictures it probably doesn't look like much because the pictures are taken from high up, but it really was!

Notice there's even blood running down the cabinet.


A little closer.




Where the pit landed (left part of the pic) when Trent realized what happened.


A drop of blood in the bowl meant for the finished guacamole :/


I was telling my mom that I don't know what I'm going to do when one of my kids really hurts themselves and Trent's at work. She reassured me that when you're a mom, you can do things you never thought you could do because they're your kids. I hope that's true! I'm sure it is :)

My sweet boy's battle wound and his ER wristband

I have had to help Trent do all kinds of things that you don't even think about when you don't have an injured finger. He can't really do his hair so I tried to help him yesterday before church, but was no good at it..haha. I think he's giving up on me!

Last night was the first time I saw the actual stitches. I was so nervous! I have to help Trent change the gauze every night.


Gnarly!


My poor baby!


After he got it all cleaned up.


So that was our crazy Saturday.

THEN yesterday, Sunday, I get out of the shower before church and notice how warm it is in our apartment. I check the thermostat and it's at 81 when we usually keep it at 75. I didn't think too much of it, hoping it was making it's way down, and head off visiting teaching. While I was gone though, Trent noticed that it was only getting hotter so he called maintenance and they informed us our AC was shot. We head off to church and they let us know they'll bring a portable AC by. We get home and the portable AC is there, but it's not on. By this point it's 89 degrees in our apartment :/ The maintenance guy comes and dumps all of the water it collected while we were at church because it's been so humid outside?? We're in Arizona people! It's really not that humid..haha. We get out of there as soon as possible and head to Trent's parents' for dinner. We get home several hours later and the portable AC had blown a fuse. What the heck?! It's now 93 degrees in our apartment.


It was unbearable (I get especially hot now that I'm pregnant) so we called our good friends Kyle and Brinly, from the ward who live in our complex, and they let us spend the night at their place. Thank goodness! I guess the maintenance guys came by today to put in a new AC compressor, so our apartment is slowly making it's way back down to 75. We've spent the whole day at my parent's.


Sorry if this post was totally boring! I realize it's a little wordy.

It was just a very interesting, not-at-all-like-we-planned, weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I was happy to have all my family with us, except of course for our wonderful missionary Amy. I am so happy to Jess and Trent so close by!-----Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. You must be the cutest pregnant lady I have ever seen and I just had to say so.
    2. That cut is NASTY! Wow, don't blame you for being queasy about the blood!
    3. I'm sad that your apt is so hot in Arizona. That must be the pits.

    ReplyDelete

If you leave me a comment, I'll leave one for you ;)