Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The Road to Hana and Turtles

Friday, November 29th

We hung out at the pool for a little bit that morning before our lunch reservation at Mama's Fish House.

Thank goodness for Grandpa and Daddy who were always willing to get in the pool and play with Aiden :)



A nice family let Aiden borrow their raft :)


Before we came to Maui we got like 5 separate recommendations to eat at Mama's Fish House, so we knew we had to try it!



View from the restaurant.


I felt so cheesy taking this picture..haha.


I've always stayed very safe with my fish (I think I'd only really had salmon and tilapia before this visit, besides shellfish), so I was happy to have a recommendation to get the Onaga from my cousin, Jordan, from when she went a few years ago.  It was a little different from when she went because their menu changes on a daily basis. But everything is completely fresh so you really can't go wrong!  The mushrooms and shallots that came with mine were to die for!  Trent (and Tanis) got the Mahimahi stuffed with lobster and crab baked in a macadamia crust :)

Aiden just wanted to be outside and hang out in this canoe (?) out front, so between our entree and dessert, I went out with him.




For dessert we couldn't pass up the Polynesian Black Pearl, which is basically a chocolate mousse, but fancier.  So, so yummy :)



A few more pictures before heading out.




Mama's is on the Road to Hana, so we decided to go a bit further and take a little hike to Twin Falls (easy enough to bring Aiden).  I had heard so many things about the Road to Hana and was so worried about getting car sick.  Tanis and Kent were kind enough to let me sit up front, but I ended up being totally fine.  Maybe if we had gone further it would've been worse, but Twin Falls was the furthest we went.

Bananas!


Aiden did not want to walk this day.


If I have one piece advice for you, that would be BRING BUG SPRAY!!!  I got so many nasty mosquito bites :(


The sun kind of whited us out.



A random chicken and her babies. 


By the time we got back to our resort it was dark and we just hung out.

Saturday, November 30th

We all decided we wanted to head back to Slappy Cakes for breakfast (where we went Monday).



This time we actually used the griddle.  I made a teddy bear pancake for Aiden :)


Aiden helping out.



We rented some snorkel gear and headed to Napili Beach.  We kept hearing that you could see turtles there.

Cloudy day.









Trying to coax Aiden into taking a picture with me.






All I wanted was a picture!!




The best I got!



We went down to the lava rocks to search for turtles and saw 2 huge ones just hanging out :)  Trent took like 70 pictures in the hopes that some would show up.  These are probably the best ones.


One of their bums ;)





It's hard to see them, they just kind of blend in with the rocks!




Yay, this one stuck his head out!




After this we did a little snorkeling and didn't see a thing.  This was the first time I snorkeled without a guide with us, so the deeper and further we went, the more freaked out I got.  I made Trent hold my hand the entire time..haha.  I am deathly afraid of sharks!!  I soon made Trent take me back in and he went back out on his own.  He went just a little further and found a great reef with lots of fish :/ Oh well, I was just proud of myself for trying.

It rained some later that afternoon and Trent caught this rainbow :)


And that's all for those 2 days.

2 comments:

If you leave me a comment, I'll leave one for you ;)