Friday, November 2, 2012

Whirlwind Part 2

Saturday, the 20th, Aiden and I got to meet up with a friend, Mary, for lunch.  I am so glad we made it happen this time.  We had tried to meet up when I was in VA 3 years ago for a cousin's wedding, but things got too crazy, so I made sure to make it work this time!  It was so fun to catch up with Mary at Noodles :)


That evening we met up with a whole bunch of the cousins to go to a pumpkin patch in Leesburg.

It was a legit pumpkin patch - those pumpkins are sitting right where they were grown :)


We went through the corn maze and then on the hay ride.






Aiden is sporting one of his new outfits from Amanda :)








We went back to Suzanne's afterward for pizza.  We loved seeing her beautiful home!

Aiden is really into pushing/pulling/dragging things around lately :)


We got to meet Sam and Whitney's dog, Mosby, and he just kept giving Aiden kisses..haha.




Before calling it a night we dropped by Tyson's once more to exchange the shirt I had gotten for Aiden for the funeral (it was too big).


Sunday we attended our beloved Vienna Ward.  It was so good to see so many friends and catch up, even if briefly.  Oh we miss it!

The Church parking lot had the most amazing trees!


The sun really whited us out.



Sunday evening all of the grandkids and great grandkids practiced our singing for the funeral.  Afterward we visited Grandma's house (and Grandpa's!) to see what everyone had done with the place.

We got a final picture in front of the house.  It'll likely be sold in the next year or so.


We headed back to the Harrison's for dinner.  We really miss being able to just walk across the street to have dinner with them.  And then we got to packing :(

Monday was the funeral.  Because we would be in Arlington and very close to Reagan National Airport, we packed up the car in preparation to fly home that evening.

I snapped this picture of our house between the trees right before we left.


The funeral was really nice, and we actually learned a lot about my grandma!  Each of her children spoke (including my dad) and, as I mentioned before, the grandkids and great-grandkids sung (I Often Go Walking, Love One Another, I Know That My Savior Loves Me).  Also one grandchild from each family shared some memories.  Jen represented our family and did a very nice job.  I was amazed that Aiden pretty much slept through the whole thing (I was worried I'd have to take him out). He woke up right as my dad was finishing his talk, and my dad spoke last!





Somehow I'm the shortest and ended up on the lowest ground..haha.

We were treated to a nice lunch back at the church.  This is the one picture I got with any cousins from the whole trip.  Fail!  It's much harder to remember to get pictures when I'm watching Aiden all the time!

Jill, Amy and Andrew, myself and Aiden, Amber, Katy, and Jen.




We changed our clothes back at Grandma's and said our "goodbyes" and were off to the airport once more.  Our chances of getting on the flight were very slim, but it was the only flight out that evening, so we went for it.  We were shocked that we all made it on!  Unfortunately it only happened b/c there had been delays, which meant other passengers didn't make it in time :/

This little stinker didn't sleep the entire flight, but promptly zonked out the minute we got off the plane!  Little stink!  Thankfully we had an open seat!  He really was pretty good, just super active :)



We loved every second of being home in Virginia, celebrating Grandma's life, and seeing all of the family.  It's hard sometimes knowing we're the only Christensen family not in Virginia (my dad's 3 sisters all live there now) and realizing they all get to see one another often.  We hope to visit again sooner rather than later!

1 comment:

If you leave me a comment, I'll leave one for you ;)