Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Orange Chicken

I thought I'd post a recipe that we love for orange chicken, like P.F. Chang's :) This is a recipe I got from my cousin Michelle. She made me a cookbook for my wedding and it was one of my favorite gifts :) I'm sure I'll post more of her recipes in the future. I posted her recipe for Scotcheroos a few months ago.

Anyway, here is the recipe for orange chicken!

To begin you'll need a 28 oz. bag of popcorn chicken (It's kind of expensive, but just remember that it's a lot cheaper than what you'd pay at P.F. Chang's. You could also just use breaded chicken tenders and cut them into bite-size pieces. That's usually cheaper. Whatever you buy make sure it's all white meat chicken and not the chicken nugget type stuff..haha).

So, cook the chicken according to the directions on the bag.

In the meantime, make the sauce.

Saute for about a minute in a little oil:
2 T. minced garlic
4 green onions, sliced

Add:
8 oz. tomato sauce (one little can)
1/2 C. water
1/2 C. sugar
2 t. chili garlic sauce (Found in Asian aisle. This is what gives it all the heat, so it can be adjusted according to your taste - we only use 1 teaspoon.)
1 T. soy sauce
1 t. cornstarch (up to 1 T. if you want the sauce thicker)
Bring to a boil and let thicken. Add the zest of an orange into sauce. When the chicken is ready, add it to the sauce.
Serve over rice (we like brown), which hopefully you remember to start in time so you're not waiting for it..haha!

I took this picture of Trent and this is how he posed..haha! He cracks me up!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess, I'm so glad you like the cookbook! My mom and I were just discussing whether the people we'v egiven those to really use them or not. Happy to hear you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha Jess!! I must have been tired or something!? I clearly meant to say YUM. Yum, yum, yum yum yum! How embarrassing!!

    ReplyDelete

If you leave me a comment, I'll leave one for you ;)